Part-Time Spring Intern
We seek an intern for the spring semester to assist with the national growth of NCSE’s science outreach program. NCSE supports local outreach across the country by providing training in science content and the no-conflict approach and by mailing quarterly activity kits to all of our national clubs. NCSE also has a growing group of volunteers that meet on Saturdays to practice interpretation content and style, as well as participate in arts & crafts and kit assembly. Approximately 50% of the internship will involve volunteer management and training. Another 25% will involve assembling, mailing, and managing training for our Summer and Fall 2019 kits. And the other 25% of the internship will involve science content research and graphic design for our kits. Working with the Director of Community Science Education and the Project Coordinator, the intern will be involved in presenting outreach activities at local science events. This is a unique opportunity for someone with a science background to gain experience in community organizing and science outreach.
The selected candidate will receive training in:
- Climate change and evolution science and education
- Science outreach and interpretation
- Curriculum design for new science activities
- Volunteer management
- Writing for a public and educational audience
The intern will work at the NCSE headquarters located in Oakland CA and occasionally off-site in the Bay Area.
- Previous experience with informal science education or other public-facing role strongly preferred.
- Previous experience with project management preferred.
- Preference for background or degree in anthropology, biology, earth science, or environmental sciences.
- Guaranteed transportation (preferably a personal car) to locations not easily reached by public transportation.
Salary and benefits
This position is part-time (20 hours a week) at the NCSE offices in Oakland. The intern will be expected to assist in volunteer management on Saturdays, and participate in science outreach on the weekends (1-2 times per month). The intern mentor will meet with the intern on a weekly basis and be present while the intern is working. The position pays $15/hour. No benefits are associated with this position. NCSE is an equal-opportunity employer.
NCSE is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates.
Please mail a résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by December 15, 2019.