Postdoctoral Fellow in Science Education Research and Evaluation
The National Center for Science Education (NCSE) is hiring a postdoctoral fellow to conduct research about climate change education for the Supporting Teachers and Breaking Down Barriers programs. This is a two-year remote appointment with an expected start date of January 2021.
This position will work with two programs developing and conducting research and evaluation related to formal and informal climate change and evolution education. For NCSE’s Breaking Down Barriers program, the applicant will study the impact of NCSE’s Graduate Student Outreach Fellowship and develop survey instruments related to the evaluation of a climate change travelling exhibit. For the Supporting Teachers program, the applicant will develop and implement evaluation instruments to measure the effectiveness of NCSE’s climate change and nature of science lessons and professional development offerings. The applicant will also help disseminate these results through presentations at major conferences and peer-reviewed publications. Approximately 25% of the position will involve project management, helping to organize and coordinate the work of NCSE-affiliated teachers and graduate students.
Applicants must hold a Ph.D. in science or science education by the beginning of the appointment.
Qualifications and Experience
In addition to the educational requirements, successful applicants will have:
- A strong background in climate change and evolution.
- Experience with K-12 education and/or science outreach.
- Familiarity with the Next Generation Science Standards is desirable.
- Experience working with human subjects, including familiarity with the IRB process and an understanding of FERPA and PPRA.
- Previous experience with leading program evaluation, or a strong background leading scientific research projects.
- Strong writing skills, with experience writing for diverse audiences.
- Previous experience with project management.
- Basic experience with graphic design and web development.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time exempt position, which may be remote. Salary commensurate with experience. Compensation includes health and dental insurance and standard vacation time. NCSE also administers a 403(b) retirement plan. After one year of employment, NCSE matches up to five percent of the employee's salary to the retirement plan.
Applicants should apply by November 15, 2020, to email@example.com with a cover letter, CV, and two samples of writing of which the applicant is the sole author. One writing sample should be written for a technical or specialized audience and the other for a general audience. NCSE is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.