Senate Bill 6058 was continued into the current session of the Washington state legislature on January 14, 2002. The bill would require "all science textbooks purchased with state moneys" to contain an evolution disclaimer very similar to that required in Alabama since 1995. The bill received its first reading in February of 2001 and was referred to the Education Committee, where it stalled. It was continued in April, 2001 in a special session, but again no action was taken.
If Washington residents wish to express their opinions on this legislation, they may write to the following Education Committee members:
- Senator Rosemary McAuliffe (D-1), Chair
- Senator Tracey Eide (D-30), Vice Chair
- Senator Bill Finkbeiner (R-45), Ranking Minority Member
- Senator Don Carlson (R-49)
- Senator Mike Hewitt (R-16)
- Senator Harold Hochstatter (R-13)
- Senator Stephen Johnson (R-47)
- Senator Jim Kastama (D-25)
- Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles (D-36)
- Senator Margarita Prentice (D-11)
- Senator Marilyn Rasmussen (D-2)
- Senator Debbie Regala (D-27)
- Senator Joseph Zarelli (R-18)
For the full text of the bill see the Summary Page for Senate Bill 6058.